Saturday 23 February 2013

Emily & Shauns Wedding Cake

I was so happy to be making the wedding cake for our good friends Emily & Shaun. They are truly two of the sweetest people I have ever met so I wanted them to have a beautiful cake for their big day. We met up and talked through lots of ideas and decided on lace. After stressing about how on earth I was going to pipe lace on a 3 tiered cake I discovered Sugarveil. It is an amazing product that enables you to create flexible strips of edible lace! We chose the 'Rose Mantilla' design & I did a few practice runs with the sugarveil mat as its rather tricky to perfect. The final cake was a staggering 15" tall, by far the biggest cake I have ever made. There was a 10" lemon madeira with homemade lemon curd & white chocolate buttercream, an 8" red velvet with cream cheese frosting & on top, a 6" espresso marble cake with Tia Maria frosting. The whole cake was covered with white chocolate flavoured fondant & finished with strips of white sugarveil lace, edible pearls & crisp white ruffle flowers. The finished cake looked great & I am really happy with how it turned out, not bad for my first traditional tiered wedding cake. Everyone at the wedding was so complimentary & were amazed by the edible lace. I had a few disasters along the way and although extremely tiring, making this cake was really enjoyable & I'm so glad it was for my friends. Congratulations Mr & Mrs Medlen, heres to many happy years together (and many yummy anniversary cakes!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment